Media, science and transboundary cooperation in the Nile basin
18 April 2018, Khartoum, Sudan
18 April 2018, 15:00 – 18:00
Venue: Meeting room of the Water Research Center (University of Khartoum, Faculty of Engineering)
The University of Khartoum, Faculty of Social Science, Center for Diplomatic Studies and the Water Research Center, in collaboration with CEDEJ and IHE Delft Institute for Water Education organize an international workshop on the role of media and scientific communication in conflicts and cooperation over the Nile.
The goals of the workshop are: to present the preliminary findings of a research on Nile media debates in Ethiopia and Egypt and to discuss how to extend it to Sudan; to watch and discuss three videos portraying the visual dimension of Nile debates in the Eastern Nile countries.
The research and the video are part of the project “Open Water Diplomacy. Media, science and transboundary cooperation in the Nile basin” bringing together researchers and journalists from different Nile countries to foster constructive communication on Nile water issues.
- Welcome remarks by Dr. Elwasila (Dean of the Faculty of Economic and Social Studies, University of Khartoum)
- Introduction to Open Water Diplomacy. Media, science and transboundary cooperation in the Nile basin, Emanuele Fantini (IHE Delft Institute for Water Education)
- First session: presentation of the research on media
- IginioGagliardone (University of Wits) Introduction to the research methodology
- AbeerRabei (University of Leiden) findings from Egypt
- WondwosenMichagoSeid (University of Lundt) findings from Ethiopia
- Discussants: Atta el Batthani (University of Khartoum), Ana Cascao (independent researcher).
- Second session: Screening of three videos on media, science and water diplomacy and discussion with the authors and other journalists
- “Smile on the Nile” by DagimTerefe (Ethiopia 2017),
- “Coherence and aggression” by IshragaabdArrhman (Sudan 2017),
- “Hate speech on the banks of the Timeless River” by Safaa Salah (Egypt 2017).
Moderator: Fredrick Mugira (Water Journalists Africa).
- Conclusion: What’s next? Presentation of the training on “Science communication for water cooperation” for researchers and journalists, Emanuele Fantini (IHE Delft)